top of page

Wing Night Returns Oct 10th To The Ridge!

upcoming events from cooltext.png
logo lil roadie grill final white transp

L'il Roadie Hours

Wed-Sat- 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Sat & Sun Open for Breakfast

7 am.- Noon

Wed Wing Night.jpg
Wed-Oct 10th
ridge halloween poster template 2018.jpg

Gold River has spoken, 70% of the people who responded to our poll want us to continue with the election poll .As promised, we will continue with the poll.  Thank you to everyone who participated.

kara july 312.png

Rachel Stratton Is Running For Council

September 13, 2018

I am announcing that I am running for Village Council in the upcoming election. 
With a vested interest in the Community and my commitment to volunteerism, I believe that serving on Council will be a great way to contribute to an exciting future for Gold River.

Please mark your calendar for Saturday, October 20th and be sure to vote!


Updates From The Mayor

September 13, 2018

Today I attended the opening Ceremonies, the Annual meetings and we went through the first part of the resolutions. 

Before we started the resolutions we listened to the Keynote Address from Arlene Dickinson and the address from the leader of the Green Party Dr. Andrew Weaver.
We went through over 60 resolutions today. I won’t go through them all, but some highlights were,
- that the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure work with B.C. Transit local Hospital Boards to find solutions for transportation of critically ill patients awaiting surgery in Rural communities.
- that the province set up a program to provide ongoing funding to all volunteer Fire Departments to assist in annual operating costs in purchasing capital infrastructure, equipment, training.
- that the Province commit to forming a task force to ensure that funding formulas do not allow urbanization to threaten Public Library’s 
- that the Government be petitioned to expand the community Forrest license program by increasing both the number and size of community Forrest to help achieve rural economic development and strengthen relationships between Indigenous and non Indigenous communities.
-that the Government provide funding programs that enable small and Rural communities to invest in fibre optic infrastructure. 
- to urge the Provincial and Federal Governments to work with community partners to developer solutions for the lack of Senior Housing and to provide necessary long term funding to support the construction of a full range of affordable seniors housing.
- that the UBCM lobby the Provincial Government to ensure that the increasingly essential infrastructure of cell phone coverage is made available to highway corridors in Rural B.C. as soon as possible without any further delay.

Some really good resolutions that will help our Village move forward in the future.

Our second meeting on Tuesday was with Ministry Staff from Emergency Management B.C.
Our topic of discussion was that we are asking the Government for funding assistance for all small communities with the costs of extrication equipment, we gave example like the Jaws of Life. We just purchased a new Jaws of Life for our Fire Department at the cost of $48,000.00
We also discussed with them the ongoing issue our Fire Department has regarding assisting with the R.C.M.P. and Ambulance requesting to provide further assistance beyond the extrication of a person from a vehicle. Often they are asked to help with flagging or road control because usually there is only one R.C.M.P. in attendance. We asked them to look at expanding coverage.
It was a good discussion, and they will talk with the other Ministries involved.

Our third meeting of the day was with the Minister of Forrest’s, Lands, Natural Resources and Rural Development the Honourable Doug Donaldson.
We discussed the process for us to apply for a Community Forest agreement. We will be discussing with Ministry staff over the next few months to ensure we have our application in time for the next allocation which will be awarded summer 2019.
This is Economic Development!
We also discussed the possibility of getting approval of a Forrest fertilization option using the Village Biosolids.
Vancouver Island University has been doing this in the Nanaimo area. They were very interested in hearing about this I will be talking to the Environment Ministry.


Our first Ministry meeting today was with the Honourable Claire Trevena, the Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure. She first asked that I send best wishes to all.
When you request meetings with any Ministry you must send to them the topics that you wish to discuss.
The first topic that we discussed was Muchalat Drive asking I
what their maintenance/paving plan was. The ministers response was, they will be doing upgrades and paving where it is necessary. 
We then discussed the issue Council has been discussing for some time now. We have to replace the waterline that is attached to the Bridge that goes across towards the Industrial area. We wanted to make sure that we first has permission, and secondly that they were not planning on changing the bridge in the near future. The Minister gave us permission and stated that the last report they had in the bridge it would not be replaced within the next 15 years.
We still had a little time left( we only get 15 minutes) so I asked the Minister who is responsibility is it to have a speed sign installed as you enter our Community, one of those signs that flash your speed. She said the Ministry pays for that, and she will look into right away.
The Minister then informed us that they are looking into some type of lights along the road from Gold River to the MMFN Reserve. We were very happy to hear this, as this is something we have been talking with the MMFN for a while now. 
Next meeting coming later.


LikeShow more reactions

Community Bake Sale

January 01, 2020

Community bake conjunction with the Terry Fox run on Sept. 16th there will be a bake sale held at the firehall. All proceeds with go to the Terry Fox Foundation. If you are willing to donate baking or just come out and buy, it would be appreciated. Baking can be dropped off at the fire hall anytime after 11:00; bake sale will start at noon

B.C. Hydro Update- Power Outages

September 11, 2018

Gold River planned power outages according to BC Hydro as of September 10

Sep 17
10:00 - 14:00
499 Muchalat Dr

Sep 19
12:00 - 15:00
380 - 402 Chamiss Pl
367 -475 Chamiss Crs
415 - 451 Maquinna Crs
411 Nootka Dr

Sep 20
12:00 - 16:00
385 - 390 Nimpkish Dr
395 Nimpkish Cnt

Sep 21
09:00 - 12:00
211 - 235 Ucona Crt

12:00 - 16:00
450 - 513 Maquinna Crs
500 - 533 Muchalat Pl
471 - 487 Nootka Dr
500 Trumpeter DR

13:00 - 17:00
350 Muchalat Dr

No More Free Sleep-Overs at Wal-Mart

September 10, 2018

 There won’t be any more parking lot sleepovers at the Campbell River Walmart.

Up until last week, the parking lot of the store, like many in the chain across Canada and the United States, allowed people to set up camp for the night should they need to.

Anika Malik, Director of Corporate Affairs for Walmart Canada, said that “overnight parking in Walmart parking lots varies from store to store and is subject to a variety of factors including municipal by-laws and the amount of parking required for our customers.”

Signs recently appeared in lot of the store saying “no overnight parking” and that a “three hour parking limit” is in place.

Malik said the decision was made “following several customer complaints about debris and customer safety.”

Manager of the CR Walmart would not provide a comment.  -

Road Alert

September 08, 2018






















































G.R. Minor Hockey Has New Executive

September 07, 2018

President - Crystal Lauzon
Vice - Desiree MacLeod
Treasurer - Christie Pearson
Safety Rep - Emile 
Referee in Chief - Ryan Walker
Equipment Manager - Dave Lightle
Secretary - Kristi Cummings
Registar & Ice Scheduler - Christa-Lynn Jennings

RCMP Seeking Assistance

September 05, 2018

The Nootka Sound RCMP is investigating a mischief to vehicle where a large was thrown through the window of a commercial van while parked at the Gold River Chalet.  The incident occurred overnight between Monday September 4th and Tuesday September 5th.  The damage was significant and made the vehicle inoperable until a new windshield was able to be nstalled.


If you have any information regarding this senseless act of vandalism please contact the Nootka Sound RCMP at 250-283-2227 or if you wish to remain anonymous please contact Crimestoppers at 1-877-222-8477

Council Meeting Minutes From Sept 4

September 05, 2018

Gold River Village Council - September 4, 2018

Suzanne Trevis

Present at the regular council meeting were Mayor Brad Unger, Councillors Rod MacLeod, Darcy Curr, Kirsty Begon and Gordon Waterman.  Administrator Larry Plourde was also present. There were 14 members of the public, and the press, in the gallery.

There were two inquiries during OPEN SESSION this week. One resident complained about the lack of drainage at Nimpkish Park. When it rains it becomes very swampy and you can’t walk around that end of the park. Mayor Unger said he would have staff look into it. The second question was regarding secondary suites and whether or not council was going to approve them. The administrator stated that council had been looking into the issue, but that a decision would probably not be made until after the upcoming municipal election.

The meeting was  called to order and minutes from the Regular Council Meeting held August 7th, and the Special Council Meeting held August 27th were approved.

Under UNFINISHED BUSINESS council dealt with a request from the Skating Club to have ice at the arena go in a week early.  There were a few issues with regards to staffing and maintenance, but the Administrator felt confident that if council wished, they could be ready in time. Council approved the request and ice should be ready for all users by the week of September 17th.

There were four REPORTS

  • the first concerned Permissive Tax Exemptions, those properties in the community that are exempt from paying all or a portion of the municipal portion of their property taxes. This generally covers government buildings used by the public, churches and non profit organizations like the Legion and the Golf Course.  All were approved as submitted.

  • Parks and Recreation recommended a 2% increase to user fees across the board at both the arena and the aquatic centre. All were approved as submitted.

  • A membership in the Truck Logger Association was approved.

  • Council also agreed to an Election Cost Sharing Agreement with the Regional District to accommodate Area A voters.

The only COUNCIL INFORMATION ITEM this week was confirmation of meetings currently set up with ministers at the upcoming Union of BC Municipalities convention in Whistler.  They include: Forest, Lands & Natural Resources; Transportation & Infrastructure; and Emergency Management BC.

There were six CORRESPONDENCE items on the agenda, only two were discussed:

  • Gold River Literacy Society grant in aid application. Council approved the requested amount over a two year period with the stipulation that the society continue to report to council on an annual basis.

  • BC Hydro Beautification Fund. A grant opportunity that provides funding to assist with municipal beautification projects, such as converting overhead electrical lines to underground equipment or placing decorative wraps on BC Hydro pad mounted equipment.  Grants are provided on a one third basis, ie. the community has to come up with the other 2/3.

  • An invitation from Emergency Management BC to meet at UBCM was received.

  • A complaint from Joe Sinclair about commercial vehicles being parked illegally was received.

  • The Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing advised that the Province has adopted the  2018 edition of the BC Building code, including Book II Plumbing Services (BC Building & Plumbing Code).  It will be effective December 10, 2018. An online version will be available in the coming weeks.

There were no questions from the public during Question Period.

Under New Business council approved expenses for Mayor Unger, Councillor McLeod and Councillor Waterman to attend UBCM in Whistler, Sept 9-14. Lets hope they all come back with some valuable information. With no further business Council moved to adjourn in camera pursuant to the Community Charter section 90(1)(e) the acquisition, disposition or expropriation of land or improvements, if the council considers that disclosure could reasonably be expected to harm the interests of the municipality; (c) labour relations or other employee relations.

The next council meeting will take place Monday, September 17th at 7pm.

Please reload

rain alert.jpg
bottom of page